Matt James is the new star of the milestone 25th season of ‘The Bachelor!’ Matt is ‘The Bachelor’s first-ever Black lead, and his journey to find love begins Jan. 4.
The Bachelor is kicking off 2021 with a brand-new season. Season 25 premieres Jan. 4 on ABC with the dashing Matt James, 29, looking to find his soulmate amongst a group of fabulous ladies. Matt was revealed as the new Bachelor in June 2020. He’s never been featured in any Bachelor Nation shows, so who is Matt James? HollywoodLife has rounded up 5 key things you need to know.
1. Matt is making history as the first Black lead of The Bachelor. Matt’s casting came after calls from fans and Bachelor Nation alum like former Bachelorette star Rachel Lindsay, 35, who was the franchise’s first-ever Black lead as the star of The Bachelorette, to be more inclusive when it comes to the cast and the leads of the series. “I think it’s a step in the right direction,” Matt told GMA in June 2020 when he was announced. “Hopefully this is the first of many Black men to be in the position that I am now.”
2. Matt was initially going to be a contestant on Clare Crawley’s season of The Bachelorette. Prior to earning the coveted position on The Bachelor, Matt had actually signed up to be on the previous season of The Bachelorette with Clare Crawley. Before the season was put on hiatus, Matt shared EXCLUSIVELY with HollywoodLife that he had his sights set on the new Bachelorette. “I have my eyes set on somebody right now and she’s in Sacramento and hopefully when all this stuff settles down, I’ll be able to meet her,” he gushed back in April 2020.
3. Matt is good friends with other Bachelor Nation alum! Tyler Cameron is one of Matt’s best friends. Tyler appeared on Hannah Brown’s season of The Bachelorette in 2019. Tyler and Matt live together in New York City and co-run the non-profit ABC Food Tours together. They met while playing football together in college! Matt also got to know Hannah through Tyler!
4. He didn’t tell his mom that he was going to be the next Bachelor! Talk about keeping a secret. Matt held his cards so close to the chest and kept everything so “tight” around his upcoming gig that he didn’t even tell his mom. In fact, she found out while watching GMA like everyone else! “She’s going to be excited,” he shared with the GMA co-hosts. “I’m sorry, Mom, but it’s hard for her to keep a secret,” he admitted. “She’s just finding out which is a fun way for everyone to participate.”
5. Matt works as a real estate agent in New York City. Matt has worked for CBRE realtors since October 2017, according to his LinkedIn page. Prior to working at the real estate company, Matt was a media planner at Mic and a corporate and institutional bank analyst for PNC. He graduated from Wake Forest University in North Carolina in 2015 with a degree in Economics.
Liz Cheney: 5 Things About GOP Rep. Ousted From House Leadership After Speaking Out Against Trump
Rep. Liz Cheney is no longer Chair of the House Republican Conference after her criticism of Trump and his ‘Big Lie’ about election fraud. Learn more about her.
Rep. Liz Cheney (R-WY) was just ousted from a top leadership position in the House by her own party. Cheney isn’t letting it go. The three-term congresswoman, 54, is lashing out at her fellow lawmakers who are still bowing at former President Donald Trump‘s feet and warning them that they’ll doom our democracy. Here’s what else you need to know about Rep. Cheney:
1. She Was The Chair of the House Republican Conference
Cheney held the third-highest leadership position for Republicans in the House of Representatives since 2019. Her “competency” came into question when she started vocalizing her criticism of former President Donald Trump for his repeated “Big Lie” about election fraud and his role in the Capitol siege. After Cheney voted with Democrats to impeach Trump in January, a pro-Trump faction of the House, including Minority Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA), called for her removal from the chairmanship. A House committee voted behind closed doors to oust Cheney on May 12.
“We cannot be dragged backward by the very dangerous lies of a former president.”
— ABC News (@ABC) May 13, 2021
2. She Warned Fellow Reps. About Trump In Her Final Speech
During the closed-door meeting to oust Cheney from House leadership, a source told ABC News that Cheney urged her colleagues not to let Trump make the GOP “complicit in his efforts to unravel our democracy.” Cheney said:
“Our nation needs this Republican Party as a strong party based on truth so we can shape the future. To do that, we must be true to our principles and to the Constitution. We cannot let the former president drag us backward and make us complicit in his efforts to unravel our democracy. Down that path lies our destruction, and potentially the destruction of our country. If you want leaders who will enable and spread his destructive lies, I’m not your person, you have plenty of others to choose from. That will be their legacy.”
3. She Has Support From Both Prominent Democrats & Republicans
Democratic House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said after the ouster, “Congresswoman Liz Cheney is a leader of great courage, patriotism and integrity. Today, House Republicans declared that those values are unwelcome in the Republican party. The Republican denial of the truth presented by Congresswoman Cheney is reflected in their denial of the need to seek the truth in a January 6th commission and to repair the damage of January 6th with a security supplemental immediately.”
4. Her Father Is Former VP Dick Cheney
Rep. Cheney is the eldest daughter of Dick Cheney, who served as vice president under former President George W. Bush from 2001 to 2009. In the House of Representatives, she holds the same seat her father once occupied as Wyoming’s congressman from 1979 to 1989.
5. Some Think She Could Lead A 3rd Party
With Trump’s grasp on the Republican party now clearer more than ever, some politicos are wondering if a fractured GOP could lead to a major third political party. With Cheney the loudest and highest-ranking opponent of Trump, she would be a natural leader. She almost outright vowed to do that in her last speech before her May 12 ouster: “I promise you this, after today, I will be leading the fight to restore our party and our nation to conservative principles, to defeating socialism, to defending our republic, to making the GOP worthy again of being the party of Lincoln.”
‘The Masked Singer’ Preview: The Russian Dolls Reveal A New Clue — Watch
The Russian Dolls read a brand-new clue in this EXCLUSIVE preview of ‘The Masked Singer’ quarterfinals, and guest panelist Rob Riggle is convinced he knows their identities.
The quarterfinals have arrived on The Masked Singer, and the Russian Dolls will take the stage once again during the May 12 episode. After their performance, a new clue is revealed by “mail” sent by the biggest fan in this EXCLUSIVE preview. When host Nick Cannon opens up the mailbox, there’s another mailbox inside, a nod to the Russian Dolls.
One of the Russian Dolls reads the letter inside the second mailbox. “I was a fan of you individually, but when I saw you band together in person — wow! Like I can’t even. Love you to the moon and back again,” the letter says.
Guest panelist Rob Riggle doesn’t believe he even needs this clue to guess the identities of the Russian Dolls. “Clues are for suckers. I don’t need them,” he says. He thinks he knows exactly who the Russian Dolls are.
“Bet this all day. Bet it twice on Sunday. That’s Devo,” Rob says. Devo is a rock band that rose to fame in the 1970s and 1980s. The band is best known for their hit song “Whip It.”
Nick isn’t convinced that Rob is right on this one. “Ken, this really is your friend,” Nick jokes. This makes Ken Jeong cackle.
The Russian Dolls changed the game from their very first performance of “The Man in the Mirror” by Michael Jackson. One Russian Doll started out singing the song, but a second Russian Doll later revealed himself during the performance. The Russian Dolls debuted a third member in the wildcard round. They’ve been stealing the show from the start.
The final 5 of season 5 are Russian Dolls, Chameleon, Black Swan, Piglet, and Yeti. At the end of the May 12 episode, one of the masked singers will be eliminated. The rest will move on to the season 5 semi-finals. The Masked Singer season 5 airs Wednesdays at 8 p.m. on FOX.
‘Siesta Key’: Chloe Reveals Why She Left Season 4 After Filming Took A Toll On Her Mental Health
Previews for season 4 of ‘Siesta Key’ show Chloe Trautman announcing that she’ll be leaving the show in the middle of filming, and she dished all about it in our EXCLUSIVE interview.
“I’m at a point where I really don’t want to be a part of this anymore,” Chloe Trautman says in the trailer for season 4 of Siesta Key. “Farewell everyone.” While the details surrounding Chloe’s unexpected departure are still vague, she dished more about the decision in an EXCLUSIVE interview with HollywoodLife. In the months leading up to filming, Chloe underwent an extreme mental and physical lifestyle change. She lost 50 pounds and cut “toxic” people out of her life. However, when filming for Siesta Key began again in Nov. 2020, she noticed that the “old Chloe” was starting to come back.
“In that environment, I have always been the ‘old Chloe,’ and it was like oil and water mixing filming and the new me,” she explained. “Well, I don’t like to say ‘new me,’ I like to say ‘true me.’ This season, you really see that battle of me trying to stay the course with the internal work that I’ve done. But I’m not perfect and I definitely have some bumps this season. Overall, I’m really proud of myself for putting myself out there and putting my mental health first. I think, more than ever, that’s such an important message to send — no matter what you’re doing in your life, if you’re placing yourself in an environment that’s not for your highest good, walk away from it. I’m just proud that I’ll represent that this season.”
Chloe did make the difficult decision to walk away. She said that the lack of support from her friends, who were skeptical about her transformation, was what ultimately led to the decision. “They weren’t as supportive as I think they could’ve been,” Chloe admitted. “Understandably, they were skeptical — they were wondering if this was just a phase. But for me, it just really built up. Every week, all the cast parties we’d go to, it would just build up over and over and over again. It just got to a point where I was like, ‘Alright, guys, stop trying to tear me down.’ When I didn’t feel like I had enough support from my friends and cast and production, I took a big step back.”
Luckily, it was the right decision, and Chloe told that it was “extremely necessary” for her. “I feel like I did the most work on myself in that time when I took a step back,” she revealed. “To me, in your true power, you should be able to place yourself in any environment and still stand true to who you are.”
Chloe also dished about the “breaking point” that led her to transform her lifestyle and become the person who she is today. “[In March 2020], our friend group went to Aspen and I was 50 pounds heavier than I am right now,” she explained. “I was skiing down a mountain and I was so out of shape, and I ended up falling and really hurting myself. It was in that moment that I cried out to God for help. Then, I went through a breakup with my ex-boyfriend of almost four years and my grandmother, who passed away, came to me and spoke to me on her birthday in June. My life just changed. The right people started to come into my life. I stopped drinking. I stopped partying. I really stepped back from any toxic environment or friendships I was in, too.”
Now, Chloe is “really excited” to show Siesta Key viewers the new version of herself. “I can’t wait to show people how, when you heal yourself, it’s truly the greatest thing you can ever do,” she gushed. “And how important it is to take time for yourself and mental health and meditating and all those beautiful things.” Siesta Key returns on May 12 at 8:00 p.m. on MTV.