She didn’t run, but Stacey Abrams can be credited for helping Georgia Dems. win big in the 2021 Senate runoff. Here’s what you need to know about one of the most influential politicians right now.
She narrowly lost the 2018 gubernatorial race in Georgia, but Stacey Abrams still came out on top. The Georgia politician, lawyer, author and activist helped mobilize voters in unprecedented numbers during the 2020 election, and many believe her efforts helped turn Georgia blue. Here’s what you need to know about Abrams, one of the most significant voices in United States politics right now:
1. She mobilized voters across the country in 2020, particularly in Georgia. Abrams has worked tirelessly, especially over the last year, to elect Democrats in the United States — including President-elect Joe Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris. Now, the 2020 Senate runoff race in Georgia looks like it will go to Democrats, with Rev. Raphael Warnock already elected, and Jon Ossoff in the lead. But Abrams work as an organizer spans a decade. A former Georgia House of Representatives minority leader, Abrams began strengthening the Democratic party’s base in the state.
She’s the leader of two voting rights groups. New Georgia Project, founded in 2014, focuses on people of color, 18 to 29 year olds, and unmarried women as a key voting base. She describes them as the “New American Majority.” Fair Fight, founded in 2018, “promotes fair elections in Georgia and around the country, encourage voter participation in elections, and educate voters about elections and their voting rights.”
2. She ran for Governor in Georgia and lost by less than 55,000 votes. Abrams’ loss to Georgia’s secretary of state, Brian Kemp, was one of the biggest upsets of the 2018 midterm elections. Abrams refused to concede victory after rampant allegations throughout the state of voter suppression; voters reported widespread discrepancies with their polling places, missing ballots, broken machine, and being told that they weren’t registered to vote at all. She later acknowledged that Kemp won, but challenged the results in court.
3. She delivered the 2019 State of the Union. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer explained to press that Democrats selected Abrams because,”She is just a great spokesperson. She’s an incredible leader. She has led the charge for voting rights, which is at the root of just about everything else.” President Donald Trump‘s State of the Union address was supposed to happen on January 29, but was postponed at House Majority Leader Nancy Pelosi‘s request due to the 35-day government shutdown. The shutdown, which Trump spearheaded because he wanted $5.7 billion for his border wall, officially ended on January 25, 2019. He delivered the address on February 5 with Abrams responding afterward.
4. She would have been the first Black female governor in United States history. It was about more than being Georgia’s first Democratic governor in 15 years. Yes, a Black woman has never been a United States governor. Twenty-two states have never had a female governor at all. “I’m very aware that as an African-American woman, I will be doing something no one else has done,” Abrams told CNN at the time.
5. A distressing incident in 1991 inspired her to enter politics. In 1991, a young Abrams excitedly traveled to the Georgia Governor’s Mansion by bus with her parents so the high school valedictorian could be honored as one of the top students in the state. But a security guard refused to let them inside. “I distinctly remember him looking at the MARTA bus, looking at my parents and making a decision. The security guard refused to allow us inside. He said it was a private event,” Abrams recalled during an October 2017 forum.
While they were ultimately let inside after pointing out that her name was first on the guest list, the incident still disturbed the teenager. While she doesn’t know if it was because of her race, she said that the way she felt about it fueled her drive.“In front of the most powerful place in Georgia, telling me I don’t belong there, that’s resonated for me for the last 20 years. The reality is having a right to be places does not always mean that you’ll gain admission,” she said.
Sofia Richie Rocks A Sexy String Bikini While Hitting The Beach In St. Barts — Photos
Sofia Richie looked super cute in the white and orange two-piece that she fashioned for her day at the beach in St. Barts! Check out the young model’s swimsuit style.
Sofia Richie had some fun in the sun on her recent trip to St. Barts! The model, 22, enjoyed a day at the beach, where she was photographed sporting a super cute orange and white bikini. Sofia accessorized her beach day look with a green bucket hat and wore a pair of sunglasses to keep the beaming rays out of her eyes. Along with being photographed by paparazzi, Sofia also shared a few photos to her Instagram account on April 19, which featured her look!
Sofia has really been enjoying her island getaway, and she’s posted about it on her social media accounts! Prior to her recent carousel post, Sofia shared a photo of herself with her new boyfriend, Elliot Grainge, going for a ride in a luxurious convertible. In the photo, Sofia could be seen positively beaming, as she lifted her arms in the air and threw up two peace signs.
The model also captioned the snap with the perfect word to encapsulate her day. “Dreamy,” she wrote alongside the photo, which was seemingly captured by Sofia’s pals Nicolas Bijan and Roxy Bijan. While Sofia has been keeping her romance fairly low-key, she’s clearly been enjoying herself with her new beau in St. Barts!
It also seems that Sofia’s newfound romance has a lot of support from her famous father, Lionel Richie. “There is a deep level of trust between [Sofia and Elliot],” one source EXCLUSIVELY told HollywoodLife. “Their dads are very close, so she’s known him a long time. Her dad could not be happier.” Indeed, there’s already a lot of trust between the families, since Lionel has known Elliot’s dad, chairman and CEO of Universal Music Group Sir Lucian Grainge, for years. Plus, Elliot is quite accomplished, himself!
“He studied business and after he graduated her launched his own record label, he’s very ambitious and very smart. Everyone in Sofia’s life is happy about this, they all think he’s a great choice. She’s such a sweet girl she deserves a really great guy and by all accounts Elliot is a winner.” As Sofia continues to enjoy her tropical getaway, take a look at her and more stars rocking swimsuits on the beach with the gallery above!
Mark Wahlberg Honors Mom Alma After Her Death With Photo Of Her & His 4 Kids: ‘Miss You’
Mark Wahlberg paid tribute to his late mother, Alma Wahlberg, with a beautiful photo of her cuddling up with her grandchildren.
Gone, but not forgotten. Mark Wahlberg honored his mother, Ama Wahlberg on Instagram with a sweet photo two days after announcing the devastating news to his fans. The Transformers star, 49, posted a beautiful throwback of Ama sitting on a couch surrounded by his four adorable kids: Brendan, 12, Ella, 17, Grace, 11, and Michael, 15. Mark and his wife, Rhea Durham, are in on the cuddles, too.
He captioned the post, “Miss you grandma” with a red heart emoji. Mark announced 78-year-old Ama’s death in an April 18 tweet. The Daddy’s Home star posted a lovely photo of his mother with a huge smile on her face, captioning it, “My angel. Rest in peace.” Ama’s other children, including singer Donnie Wahlberg, also honored their mother online. Donnie, 51, penned a lengthy tribute on Instagram accompanied by a slideshow of photos and videos.
“I’m so blessed to have been brought into this world by, raised by, taught by and set on my life’s path by, such an amazing woman,” he wrote, in part. “My mom Alma’s joy for life, love and people — combined with a pride in her humble beginnings and refusal to forget where she came from — undoubtedly shaped me into the man that I am. She was, without a doubt, the most loving human being I’ve ever known.”
Ama was mother to nine children and was a regular fixture on Wahlburgers, the A&E reality show that followed the family’s Boston-based burger chain. The show, which aired from 2014 to 2019, showcased many members of the Wahlberg family, including son Paul Wahlberg — who later named another restaurant Alma Nova in her honor. “I was very hesitant and nervous at first,” Alma told USA Today in 2014 about being on the show. “[My sons] said, ‘You can talk to a wall, Ma. You won’t have any trouble.’”
Suri Cruise Sports Long Hair While Posing With Flowers & Goofing Off With Friends On 15th Birthday
Suri Cruise looked super sweet while enjoying her 15th birthday in the Big Apple! The teenager showed off her long hair and posed with some flowers as her friend snapped some pics!
Suri Cruise is another year older! The teenage daughter of Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise turned 15 years old on April 18, and she looked like she had a total blast on her big day. The newly minted 15-year-old spent her birthday out and about in New York City and was spotted having some low-key birthday fun. Suri and a few of her pals were seen snapping some photos together while posing with a pretty bouquet of pink and white carnations.
The birthday girl also showed off her long, brunette ‘do, and looked like the spitting image of her famous mom, 42. Naturally, Suri followed the necessary safety precautions while celebrating her birthday amid the COVID-19 pandemic. She and her friends wore protective face masks while having fun in the Big Apple. The teens only removed their face masks while smiling for a quick photo, or enjoying some delicious ice cream!
Despite her birthday falling during the middle of a pandemic, Suri truly showed the she was enjoying her day like so many around the world who celebrated their special days during COVID-19, as well. Suri’s mom, Katie, made sure to celebrate her daughter’s birthday by taking to Instagram and sharing a carousel of photos to her social media account. Far more precious than the intimate pics of Suri and her mom, however, was the sweet caption Katie wrote and dedicated to her teen.
“Happy 15th Birthday Sweetheart! I love you,” Katie wrote, adding a string of exclamation points and a number of emojis. “I can’t believe you are already 15!” Katie concluded the post. It’s hard to believe that Suri is already 15 years old. After all, it doesn’t seem like that long ago that she was just a tiny tot being photographed while out with her famous parents.
Over the course of the last few years, though, Suri’s adoring mom has made a concerted effort to offer her daughter as normal an upbringing as possible. Suri’s bond with her mom is so incredibly strong and it’s amazing to see the teen grow up to be her Katie’s mini-me. Fans cannot wait to see what the future holds for the teenager!