He’s here to make history. Rev. Raphael Warnock was just elected as a Dem. senator to Georgia — the 1st Black senator in Georgia history, and 11th in US history. Here’s what you need to know:
History was just made in Georgia. Raphael Warnock was elected the next Senator of Georgia on January 5, bringing the Democrats one step closer to controlling the House AND Senate in 2021. Warnock is a longtime reverend and activist who has mobilized voters in his home state for years. Here’s what you need to know about Warnock, who’s about to turn Georgia and the entire federal government blue:
1. He is Georgia’s first Black senator. Despite 3.391 Black individuals living in Georgia (or 31.9 percent of the population), there has never been a Black senator from the state. Warnock is also the first Black senator to represent a former Confederate state in United States history. Warnock will replace Republican senator Kelly Loeffler. If fellow Democrat Jon Ossoff wins his runoff election against Senator David Perdue, Democrats will take control of the Senate.
2. He’s only the 11th Black senator in United States history. Let that sink in. There have only been 10 other Black members of the United States Senate ever. Warnock now joins the ranks of Former President Barack Obama (D-IL), Vice President-Elect Kamala Harris (D-CA), Hiram Revels (R-MS), Blanche K. Bruce (R-MS), Carol Moseley Braun (D-IL), Roland Burris (D-IL), Tim Scott (R-SC), William “Mo” Cowan (D-MA), and Cory Booker (D-NJ).
3. He’s been the Senior Pastor of Ebenezer Baptist Church since 2005. Rev. Warnock preaches at the pulpit once occupied by Martin Luther King, Jr. He’s the youngest pastor to ever serve in a leadership role at the historic church, as well. Warnock also notably delivered the benediction at President Obama’s second inauguration in 2012.
4. He’s a leader in the movement to expand Medicaid in Georgia. Warnock rose to prominence in Georgia politics during his crusade to expand Medicaid to cover all struggling Georgians. Warnock even led a sit-in at the Georgia State Capitol in 2014. to pressure state legislators to approve the expansion of Medicaid in the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. He and other participants were arrested.
5. His goal as senator is to help struggling Georgia families. “As Senator, Reverend Warnock will bring to Washington the concerns of struggling Georgia families who wonder why no one is looking out for them,” his campaign website reads. “He will focus on fighting for quality, affordable health care, for the dignity of working people who are paid too little as our government works more for Wall Street, and to make sure every voice is heard.”
Tom Brady Reveals The Hilarious 1st Thing Gisele Said To Him On The Field After Super Bowl Win
Gisele Bundchen hinted she was ready for Tom Brady to retire after he won his 7th Super Bowl. He revealed exactly what she said to him following the win in a new interview.
Tom Brady dished about life in the off-season in his first interview since winning the Super Bowl in February. While chatting with James Corden on The Late Late Show, Tom shared some behind-the-scenes tidbits about his celebration on the field after winning the big game with his team, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. “It’s a big moment, obviously, and a culmination of a lot of months of everyone working hard,” Tom explained. “I’m looking for my family and I see my oldest son run over to me, I give him a big hug. I saw my two little ones. Then, all of a sudden, I saw my wife [Gisele Bundchen], and I gave her a big hug and just as I did it, she says, ‘What else do you have to prove?’”
Gisele, of course, was referring to the fact that Tom was able to win his SEVENTH Super Bowl at 43 years old. On top of that, he did it in his first season with a brand new team after previously playing with the New England Patriots for 20 years. Fans have been wondering for years if Tom was going to be ready to retire soon, and it seems like even Gisele is on-board with that possibility.
However, Tom isn’t going anywhere. After the Super Bowl, he confirmed that he’d be returning for another season, and he told James how he avoided the discussion about retirement with his wife. “I just gave her a big hug,” he laughed. “I was trying to figure out a way to change the subject really quick. I think I moved onto something else really quickly.”
At the end of the day, though, Gisele has been nothing but supportive of her husband. “She’s the best supporter, she’s been amazing,” Tom gushed. “I think, for me, it’s a whole different life [after football season]. There’s in-season mode of being up early, playing football. Then, all of a sudden, that literally stops. So I’m getting reacquainted with the dishwasher and where the broom is [now]!”
Tom also joked about the Bucs’ victory boat parade, where he famously threw the (very expensive) Lombardi Trophy across the water to one of his teammates. “I was not thinking at that moment,” Tom joked. “I was just…this seems really fun to do! When you get your hands on one of those trophies, there are a lot of really sharp edges on the bottom. I found out later that, had that been an incomplete pass, that would’ve went down, like, 80 feet.” Luckily, the trophy was caught successfully!
Demi Lovato Reveals ‘Accidental’ Weight Loss After Ditching ‘Diet Culture’: ‘I Feel Full’ – Watch
After years of suffering with an eating disorder, Demi Lovato has found happiness — and it came when she decided to change her relationship with food and exercise.
Demi Lovato unexpectedly lost weight after letting go of her obsession with counting calories and exercising. The singer showed off her weight loss in a new Instagram video, where she revealed how her pants are now too big on her. She pulled the waistband away from her stomach to show how loosely it fit, and admitted, “I’m full of peace, serenity, joy and love today.”
Along with the weight loss video, Demi revealed how she dropped the pounds accidentally. “Accidentally lost weight,” she wrote. “I don’t count calories anymore. I don’t over exercise anymore. I don’t restrict or purge. And especially I don’t live my life according to the diet culture…and I’ve actually lost a lot of weight. This is a different experience but I still feel full. Not of food. But of divine wisdom and cosmic guidance. Peace. Serenity. Joy. And love.”
The past year was full of ups and downs for Demi. She kicked off 2020 with an incredible performance of the National Anthem at the Super Bowl, as well as an emotional performance at the Grammy Awards. It was meant to kick off her big comeback after she nearly died of a drug overdose during the summer of 2018. However, the coronavirus halted her career plans.
Instead, she focused on her personal life, and fell in love with actor Max Ehrich. They got engaged in July, after just a few months of dating, but split weeks later in September. Now that she’s single again, Demi’s priority has been herself, and she truly seems happier and healthier than ever.
Demi has been open about her struggles with an eating disorder and body image for years. However, in December 2020, she revealed that she was officially in recovery for her eating disorder for the first time. “I’m so grateful that I can honestly say for the first time in my life – my dietitian looked at me and said, ‘This is what eating disorder recovery looks like,’” Demi shared with fans, along with a photo of her stretch marks. She also urged fans who have had the same struggles as her not to “give up” on their own journeys.
Kaley Cuoco Hilariously Chows Down On Pizza, Champagne & More After Golden Globes Loss — Pic
Despite losing in her category at the Golden Globes, Kaley Cuoco still found reason to celebrate with food and champagne at-home!
Kaley Cuoco may not have won a Golden Globe during the award show on Feb. 28, but she still had a celebration after the show. The actress shared a photo of herself sitting on the floor, still wearing her Globes dress, and chowing down on some pizza, cake, cupcakes, champagne and more. “I would like to thank…..nevermind,” she jokingly wrote in the photo’s caption.
Kaley received her first Golden Globes nomination at the 2021 show. She was up for Actress in a Television Musical or Comedy Series for her role in The Flight Attendant. However, she lost out to the one and only, Catherine O’Hara, who won for Schitt’s Creek. The other women in the category were Lily Collins (Emily In Paris), Elle Fanning (The Great) and Jane Levy (Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist).
Due to this year’s Golden Globes taking place amidst the coronavirus pandemic, only a handful of stars attended the event in-person. Like dozens of others, Kaley was at the show virtually, but still got dressed up in a gorgeous gown for the big night. Fans and friends raved over her hilarious post-show photo, with Olivia Munn commenting, “Lollllllz” and Zosia Mamet writing, “Just when I think I can’t love you any more.”
When Kaley found out she was nominated for a Golden Globe at the beginning of February, she burst into tears (and shared the video on Instagram, of course). “Thank you Golden Globes #HFPA,” she wrote at the time. “I will never ever forget this moment and I can’t stop crying. So proud of my entire team.” She also referenced her production company, Norman Productions, which was named after her late dog.
The Flight Attendant was also nominated for Best Television Musical or Comedy Series, but lost out to Schitt’s Creek there, as well. Some of the nights other big winners included Emma Corrin and Josh O’Connor from The Crown, Anya Taylor-Joy from The Queen’s Gambit, Jason Sudeikis from Ted Lasso and Mark Ruffalo from I Know This Much Is True.